3.14.2011

What a ride.....

Well, I don't want to plaster stuff all over facebook but there is so much going on right now I need an outlet. So, this morning we were running our Sunday errands and at about 11:00 I started to have contractions. At first I just chalked it up to braxton hicks because i've been having those for about 6 weeks. However, this time they actually hurt and were coming pretty steady. We went home and I drank some water and laid down as if it is false labor this will help it subside. When they were still coming every five minutes and rather painful for about 35 minutes we called the birth center at Olmsted and they told us to come in to be monitored, just to be on the safe side. SO, our wonderful friend Tara rushed over to stay with Lucas while Ri took me in. We didn't bring any of our stuff with us as we figured it wasn't anything serious and they'd send me home in a few hours. Once we got to Olmsted they hooked me up to the monitors and started an IV. The contractions were now 2-3 minutes apart and quite painful. They did a check and I was dilated to 2-3. Because I am only 33 weeks they then gave us drugs to try and stall the labor as well as steroids to try and speed up Gavin's lung development. They then contacted Mayo Clinic who sent an ambulance for me and I was transported across Rochester via ambulance (not fun when you're contracting) so we could be set up next to the NICU if they are unable to stop the labor. We then met with lots of Drs and specialists about what our options are. Best case scenario they are able to stall my labor and I will be able to go home in a few days but will have to take a pill every 3-4 hours to keep labor at bay and probably be on bedrest. In hopes that they can get me to 35 weeks (the longer the better obviously). Worst case scenario they can't stall the labor and Gavin arrives early and may need to spend some time in the NICU. In our favor are things like he's measuring big and the steroids they're giving us will help his lungs become more developed before delivery. Another thing is that if he does come in the next 2 weeks we may actually be able to do a VBAC. SO, for the time being it's just wait and wait and wait. They are going to do an ultrasound in the morning to get his height and weight and we'll be in the hospital for sure until probably Tuesday morning. The next dose of steroids for his lungs is at 1:30 tomorrow afternoon and then they'd need us to wait for 12 hours. But if labor is stalled at that point they'll either send us home with strict guidelines or they'll admit me to a room here. It will all depend on how the labor continues and so on. SO, we're exhausted, scared, worried and impatient. We probably won't be posting anything on facebook as so many things are up in the air, but just wanted to keep some of you informed. I do have my cellphone and I do check it so you can call. If I don't answer i'm either resting or meeting with our team but i'll get back to you when I can. I guess we shouldn't have expected anything else from Gavin.... he's been making it count from day 1! :) Love to all.

2 comments:

Tara Jo said...

I am glad I was able to go hang out with Lucas yesterday...I would do anything for you guys! I hope he isn't too sad that he hasn't seen you guys...when I put him down for his nap he said "Mom, dad?" and I told him he would be seeing you soon.

I hope this works in your favor. If you come home after Tuesday I will come hang out with you this week sometime! LOVE YOU!!!

Unknown said...

Thanks for the update. We've been wondering. Hoping and praying for the best for you & Gavin.

Love - Jared & Ang