3.14.2011

Update #2

Well, still just waiting. They moved me to the anti-partum unit at about 7 this morning because the contractions had slowed to only a few every hour. At 10 they took us down for an ultrasound and to no surprise Gavin is and I quote "gargantuen" according to the doc. At not even 34 weeks he's weighing in at 6lbs 11ozs. We then toured the NICU as a precautionary measure, which was scary and heartbreaking. At about noon my contractions started again and were very strong and consistent for several hours. They gave me the second dose of the steroids to try and speed his lung development up. So currently the plan is to continue to monitor me and the contractions. At 1:30 tomorrow (Tuesday) they will take me off the medication that is trying to postpone the labor and let nature take its course. They'll continue to monitor me in the hospital until Wednesday at which time they will decide whether or not I can go home to wait it out or if I need to stay in the hospital. We meet with a social worker on Wednesday to discuss staying at the Ronald McDonald house if they will not allow me to travel all the way back to Winona. I'm really hoping that is not the case as I miss Lucas very much and can't imagine being away from him for that long. We'll keep everyone posted as we learn more and appreciate all the well wishes, thoughts and prayers that have been sent our way. Love you all.

2 comments:

Tara Jo said...

My heart breaks for you because I know how hard it is for you to be away from Lucas. I hope that when "nature takes it's course" it is by letting Gavin stay in there for a little bit longer. I wish I would have given you a big hug before you left on Sunday...I am not sure when I will see you again! If you have to stay up there I will make a point to stop on our way back from the cities this weekend.

Miss you...and Tuesday just won't be the same without you around!!!

p.s. how is the rash?

Joli, Riley, Lucas, Gavin and of course, Cash! said...

Rash is actually a little better. The steroids they had to give me for Gavin were so strong it helped alleviate some of the itching thank goodness. I may be out of the hospital tomorrow, depending on what happens in the next 24 hours, but not sure if they'll let me go home at that point or what the plan is.