8.05.2011

Getting a little perspective

Friday is usually one of the best days of the week as you know the weekend is approaching! However on this particular Friday I found myself having "that" morning. You know the one i'm referring to, the one where from the minute you get up things just seem to go wrong.... THAT day. Let's re-cap....went to make coffee and spilled the pot full of water all over the counter then in the process of trying to clean that up spilled half the container of coffee all over the floor, stubbed my toe, went to get in the car (which I had started to get it cooled down for the kiddos) to find i'd not only locked my keys in the running car but i'd also locked myself and the kiddos out of the house....(thank goodness for a hidden spare key!!) Finally get on the road to LaCrosse to meet my mom at Sams Club. Cashier rings up purchases wrong so I have to then wait in line behind 10 other customers for 2 items, then go to Caribou (which doesn't have a drive thru.... :(), unload both kids go in to get my coffe and they give me the wrong one but don't have time to fix it because of 2 screaming kids. Keep in mind it's barely 10:00 at this point..... NOW, I have a decision to make at this juncture; I can either sulk and let these many unfortunate irritating things ruin the rest of my day (and there's a lot of day left!) or I can laugh at this and choose to start over! So that is what I did! Not to say i'm above sulking, i've done that a time or two (and who hasn't!). But on my drive home as Lucas was talking to Gavin in the backseat and Gavin was laughing and cooing at his big brother I realized there just isn't enough time or energy in my life to waste on negative things.
I found myself thinking about a friend who had to say goodbye to her babies after just an hour on this earth and my eyes teared up. If I chose to let these minor things ruin my day how could I face that friend or others who are truly taking on lifes most difficult challenges? My perspective on the day immediately changed. I looked at my babies in the backseat and smiled remembering that I get to go home to an air conditioned house with two healthy children, a wonderful husband, food in our cupboards and clothes in our closets. My life is truly blessed and i'm thankful everyday for everything and everyone I have in my life.
This is life, you roll with the punches and you pick your battles. To those of you that are dealing with genuine struggles, my heart aches for you, be strong and I love you!

1 comment:

Tara Jo said...

I read this after texing you on Sunday...lol. If I had read it earlier I would have known how thankful you are for what you have. You are a lucky gal that is for sure!